I have an art research paper, max 4 pages
Analytical Essay #1
At this point in the semester, weâ€™ve studied how to evaluate art and the various methodologies. Lets put that to work! Each of these artworks have a rich history behind them. Not only does the subject tell a story, but the context informs the art as well- and provides an even more rich origin story! It is through the Writings About Art, that we are able to continue the analysis and deepen our understating of the art.
- Write a 3 page research paper including two of the artwork/artist pairs below, ONLY.
- Use at least 1 bullet point from each of the 3 Methods of Analysis (see below). Again, not three bullets from the same method.
- Your interpretation of the Methods of Analysis MUST be based on the descriptions in Chapter 4, and I will be using those definitions/descriptions when grading your work.
- MLA format- http://www.easybib.com/guides/citation-guides/mla-…
- 1000 words or 4 pages max, not including works cited page
- You must use a minimum of 2 sources, not including your textbook.
- This assignment must be uploaded via Canvasâ€™ assignment repository. Your essay will be verified through Turnitin’s originality checker.
- All papers must include a â€œworks citedâ€ page for all sources. Plagiarized work will result in an automatic 0% on the research paper.
Again, plagiarized work will result in an automatic 0% on the research paper.
Excellent Optional Resources:
- Khan Academy
- Smart History
ARTISTS AND ARTWORKS
Sandro Boticelliâ€™s, Birth of Venus
Artemesia Gentileschi, Judith and Holofernes
Pablo Picasso, Les Demoiselles de Avignon
Jean-Honore Fragonard, The Swing
Gianlorenzo Bernini, Cornero Chapel with the Esctacy of St.Teresa
Eduard Manet, Olympia *For more analysis look into Titianâ€™s Venus of Urbino
Jan van Eyke, The Wedding Portrait
Isenheim Alterpice, Matthias Gruenwald
Jose-Clemente Orozco, An Epic of American Civilization
METHODS OF ANALYSIS
1. Content Analysis
- Subject Matter
2. Historical Context
- Context for the creation of artwork
- Physical surroundings
- Method of encounter
3. Writings About Art
- Modern Criticisms
- Ideological Criticisms
- Psychoanalytic Criticisms
- Post structuralism
- Feminist Criticism