As I Grew Older- https://www.poemhunter.com/best-poems/langston-hug…
1. The wall is a metaphor for what in this poem?
2. What effect does Hughes create with the image of a black person fading into the shadow
of the wall?
Children’s Rhymes- https://www.poemhunter.com/best-poems/langston-hug…
3. Because of the title of this poem and its lyrical quality, one gains the sense that the poem
is being rendered by a child. What effect does Hughes achieve though his use of child as
narrator in this poem?
Dream Deferred- https://www.poemhunter.com/poem/dream-deferred/
4. How does Hughesâ€™ use of imagery in this poem contribute to the theme of â€œa dream
5. Describe the image of a child looking for the back of a merry-go-round in this poem.
How does this image expose the ridiculousness of Jim Crow laws?
Negro Speaks of Rivers
6. What characteristics of rivers help Hughes to crystallize his simile, â€œmy heart has grown
deep like the riversâ€ in this poem?
Night Funeral in Harlem- https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/night-funeral-…
7. What comment is Hughes making in this poem concerning the monetary affairs that
accompany a funeral?
8. What elements does Hughes add to this poem to make it one that is distinctly about a
funeral in Harlem?