Regular expressions became popular with the introduction of the UNIX operating system in 1960s and its text processing tools such as grep and ed.
Write a two to three (2-3) page paper in which you:
- Define regular expressions and explain their purpose.
- Provide at least three (4) examples which demonstrate the way regular expressions work.
- Examine the shortcomings of regular expressions and describe at least two (3) situations where using them might be inappropriate.
- Use at least three (4) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
- Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
- Typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the studentâ€™s name, the professorâ€™s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
- Include a reference page. Citations and references must follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Identify and create simple regular expressions.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in operating systems.
- Write clearly and concisely about UNIX / Linux topics using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.