Critique a Research Article
Critique a Research Article
A critique is a method of displaying a logical and organized analysis of a written or oral piece. Critique can provide the readers with both positive and negative outcomes depending on the author. The purpose of this assignment is for the student to perform a critique on a research article that deals with today’s health issues. In this paper the student must be diligent at what the author are claiming, taking into account the research methods being utilized and look for pros and cons of the researcher’s outcomes.
The assignment must be a minimal of five pages, excluding title page and references. The assignment must be strictly following APA guidelines, points will be deducted if otherwise. Do not use first person throughout the paper until the section called evaluate the paper. It will be divided in the following manner:
Title page: Give the name of the article, the authors name(s) and your name. Following APA
· Provide an overview of the author’s research problem, research questions and main point including how the author supports his or her point.
· Explain what the author initial objectives (hypothesis) and results including the process he or she used to arrive at such conclusion.
Evaluate the Research Methods: in paragraph form answer the following:
· Does the author provide a literature review?
· Is the research current and relevant to today existing health issues?
· Describe the research type utilized?– experimental, non-experimental, quasi experimental, etc.
· Evaluate the sample (size, composition, or in the way the sample was selected in relation to the purpose of the study? Was the sample appropriate for the research or was it bias?
· How practical does this work seem to you? How does the author suggest research results could be applied and how do you believe they could be applied?
· Could the study have been improved in your opinion? If so provide how you think it could have improved.
· Is the writing in the article clear straightforward?
· Can further research be conducted on this subject? Explain
Conclusion: In your conclusion, try to synthesize the pieces of your critique to emphasize your own main points about the author’s work, relating the researcher’s work to your own knowledge or to topics being discussed in your course.
Reference Page: APA style, see rubric below
See Rubric Below for assignment
Title Page: Title of article, journal information and your name and date
Abstract: Brief summary of article (1-2 paragraphs)
The Problem: (2 or 3 paragraphs)
Is the problem clearly stated?
Is the problem practically important?
What is the purpose of the study?
What is the hypothesis?
Are the key terms defined?
Review of Literature: (1 -2 paragraphs)
Are the cited sources pertinent to the study?
Is the review too broad or too narrow?
Are the references recent?
Is there any evidence of bias?
Design and Procedures: (3-4 paragraphs)
What research methodology was used?
Was it a replica study or an original study?
What measurement tools were used?
How were the procedures structures?
Was a pilot study conducted?
What are the variables?
How was sampling performed?
Data analysis and Presentation: (1 – 2 paragraphs)
How was data analyzed?
Did findings support the hypothesis and purpose?
Were weaknesses and problems discussed?
Conclusions and Implications: (2-3 paragraphs)
Are the conclusions of the study related to the original purpose?
Were the implications discussed?
Whom the results and conclusions will affect?
What recommendations were made at the conclusion?
What is your overall assessment of the study and the article?