MN551-2: Apply knowledge of tissue and organ structure and function to physiologic alterations in systems and analyze the cause and effect relationship in response to disease.
The case studies below. In your discussion be sure to include evidence of your knowledge of tissue and organ structure and function to physiologic alterations in systems and analyze the cause and effect relationship in response to disease.
- Make sure all of the topics in the case study have been addressed.
- Cite at least three sourcesâ€”journal articles, textbooks, or evidenced-based websitesâ€”to support the content.
- All sources must have been written within five years.
- Do not use .com, Wikipedia, or up-to-date, etc., for your sources.
Case Study 7
Disorders of Hemostasis
Leona is 52 years old and smokes. She is also overweight and has atherosclerosis. When she was given a two-week vacation from work, she packed up her bags and flew from Minnesota to Sydney, Australia, for the trip she always wanted to take. Unfortunately, just three days after she arrived, she was hospitalized when her left calf became inflamed, causing her considerable pain. The physician attending to her told her she developed a deep vein thrombosis.
- Explain, using your knowledge of hypercoagulability, why the trip to Australia contributed to Leonaâ€™s DVT? Why was Leona already at risk for thrombus development?
- How does Leonaâ€™s atherosclerosis affect platelet function? Conversely, what is the effect of increased platelet activity on the development of atherosclerosis?
- How do atherosclerosis and immobility promote changes in blood coagulation?
- When Leona was in hospital, she received heparin therapy. Explain why this course of action was taken to treat her DVT. Why was she not given heparin tablets to take back to the hotel with her?