To prepare for part one question:Prosocial Behavior
Consider the following issues and choose one or more to use for your Spark post:
- Negativity on social media
- Reducing aggression
- Interactions between minorities and the majority
Post two of your own examples of prosocial behavior associated with any of the issue(s) you selected. (The issues are listed in the full assignment directions). The two examples can be for the same issue or for two different issues. For each prosocial behavior, specify which issue the prosocial behavior is associated with, who would engage in the behavior, and who would benefit from the behavior.
Prepare for part two:Social Psychology Research and Prosocial Behavior
This Assignment asks you to analyze a social psychology research article for validity and ethics. The skills practiced can be applied to a critique of any scientific research study. Then, you will use theory to explain how prosocial behavior is relevant to the topic of your selected research article.
To prepare for part two:
- Review Chapter 2 in your course text, focusing on journal article analysis.
- While reading Chapter 11, reflect on how prosocial behavior can be used to address problems.
- Read the online article, “What Is Ethics in Research and Why Is It Important?” Focus on the expectations of ethics for the scientific community, how results are used in the real world, and related ethical issues.
Choose one of the journal articles from this weekâ€™s Learning Resources to analyze (not Resnik’s online article about ethics).
This is the one that I chose: “Penner, L. A., Dovidio, J. F., West, T. V., Gaertner, S. L., Albrecht, T. L., Dailey, R. K., & Markova, T. (2010). Aversive racism and medical interactions with black patients: A field study. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 46(2), 436â€“440.
The Assignment (2â€“4 pages):
Analyze the article you selected by responding to the following questions:
- Briefly, what were the research method, the purpose of the study, and the main finding(s)? As this is a brief statement of the main finding(s), do not provide details such as means or other statistics.
- What potential threats are there, if any, to the study’s external validity or generalizability? What about the study, if anything, enhances its external validity or generalizability?
- Do you have any concerns regarding whether the study was conducted ethically? Explain in terms of the information you learned in the assigned readings (e.g., informed consent).
- Recall this week’s Discussion Spark about various prosocial behaviors. What prosocial behavior or act could increase understanding of, or provide support to someone dealing with the issues presented in your selected journal article? The prosocial behavior could be something described in the journal article, explored in the Discussion Spark, or a prosocial behavior that has not previously been mentioned in the course.
- What personal quality of an individual or situational determinant would increase the likelihood of this prosocial behavior occurring?