ONE of the following topics/questions:
1. Carefully assess the worldviews of two pre-modern mystical figures. Are they
ultimately different or similar? Why?
2. Carefully assess the worldview of one particular mystical figure. By drawing
extensively from his/her works, provide a careful presentation and analysis of
his/her major teachings.
3. Describe the nature and significance of any important symbol common to the
worldâ€™s great mystical traditions.
4. Why is the remembrance of God (
dhikr) so central to Sufism?
5. Explain the notion of non-duality in Advaita Vedanta.
6. Explain the notion of the Jesus Prayer in Eastern Orthodox Christianity. How
does this spiritual method allow Christians to fulfill St. Paulâ€™s injunction to
pray to God â€œceaselesslyâ€?
Each essay will
be evaluated in terms of (1) the clarity of its thesis, (2) the coherence of its argument(s),
(3) evidence of original research and its careful integration into the fabric of the essay, (4)
thoughtful reflection on the subject matter, and (5) faithful adherence to the content and
formatting guidelines mentioned below.
The paper must have a clear thesis
which is defended consistently throughout. An
essay without a thesis cannot receive more than a C+. A thesis essentially summarizes, in
one or several sentences, the entire point of your essay. It is simply not enough to say â€œI
am going to talk about x, y, and zâ€; you must be more specific than that. A good thesis
should be concise and straightforward, and must endeavour to prove a point: â€œIn this
essay, I am going to demonstrate that x because of y and z.â€ You may not use the
wording of this example in your essay.
Essays are to be
10 full pages in length (
excluding the title page and
), double spaced, and written in Times New Roman font (size 12
It must use the normal page layout which comes standard on all Word programs.
2. Diction is to be formal, and the essay is to be written in Canadian English.
Grammar, syntax, spelling, and style must be impeccable. You may write in the
3. All paragraphsâ€”except the first paragraph of your essayâ€”must be indented.
Every paragraph in your essayâ€”including isolated quotations and
footnotesâ€”must be justified
. This can easily be done by using the â€œparagraphâ€
function on your Word program.
4. Use footnotes as opposed to endnotes and/or internal citations. Footnotes are to be
and written in Times New Roman font (size 10
). A bibliography
must be appended to the essay. Your method of citation
follow the rules laid
out in the
Chicago Manual of Style
6. Do not put your quotations in italics, bold, or a combination of the two. Sentences
which are more than 3 lines long are to be isolated,
single spaced, and reduced to
font size 11
with their margins indented to 1 inch on both the right and left. This
can easily be done by using the â€œparagraphâ€ function on your Word program.
7. Your essay must have a title page. All pagesâ€”excluding the title page and
bibliographyâ€”are to be numbered at the bottom right corner of the page.