Citing specific evidence from the Funeral Oration (not the textbook), what were the main features of Athenian democracy according to Pericles?
Some Suggested Websites for further study on this assignment:
- The Greeks: Crucible of Civilization is an excellent site that accompanies the PBS series. See, for example, the page on Pericles.
- See the extra credit assignment with material on Thucydides.
- Dr. J’s Illustrated Pericles’ Funeral Oration by Janice Siegel, Illinois State University, is a rather interesting take on Pericles.
- Pericles’ Funeral Oration — Hear and Read the Full Text (also a Greek version)
- The Funeral Oration, Context and Meaning; Text and Translation
Your paragraph should be about one-half page in length, double-spaced with one-inch margins, font size 10 or 12; it should contain a concise topic sentence (sentence 1) that directly responds to the assigned question (no need to define terms or cite a dictionary), and you should use direct, quoted material to support your points. Your last sentence should be a conclusion. You may consider sending a draft of your assignment to your instructor for feedback before submitting the assignment for a grade.