“To Cite or Not to Cite”Please respond to the following:
Explain your agreement or disagreement with the decision to cite or not to cite explained in each of the following scenarios:
- Shakespeare died over 400 years ago. So, Hiram inserted a quote by Shakespeare from the play Hamlet into an essay without using quotation marks or citing the reference.
- Beattie noted in his history paper the fact that representatives from the 13 British colonies signed the United States Declaration of Independence in 1776, but he did not cite a source for the information.
- When taking notes about the American Revolution, Sara found a quote of Benjamin Franklinâ€™s words, which she paraphrased. She inserted it into her paper without quotation marks or a reference to Benjamin Franklin.
- Jeffery wrote a paper on popular music in which he claimed that many songs came from earlier sources. He included the entire song lyrics
- from the Beatles and compared them to the lyrics of a song by a folk singer from the 1930s. He cited the Beatles. Although he included the lyrics from the 1930 song, he did not include a reference to the source.
“Share your ALEKS success!” Please respond to the following:
- As you work on mastering topics in ALEKS, reflect on your ALEKS success story of the week. It can be a topic that you see a real-life application for or a topic that you worked hard on. Share your story in the discussion so that your classmates can share in your success.
- As always, you also need to respond and interact with your classmates.