This journal assignment will help you think about developmentally appropriate curriculum and how your teaching site implements this type of curriculum. Think about the materials, activities and classroom interactions. Are they developmentally appropriate? How can you tell? Are there any trouble spots and how would you remedy these?
Complete the Reflective Journal assignment using the topic assigned.
This assignment fulfills/supports
- Module Outcome One: You will have implemented and evaluated meaningful curriculum that is play-based, integrated, and grounded in active learning.
- Course Outcomes One and Two: You will have functioned as an early childhood provider in a childcare of early childhood setting and implemented reflective and professional practices.
- General Education Competency Two: You will have used critical thinking to analyze problems and make logical decisions.
Think about the play-based, integrated learning. You have completed two lesson plans at this point, reflect upon the process of planning and implementing lesson plans for young children that are play-based and grounded in active learning.
NAEYC Standards Summary â€“ document is attached.
NAEYC Standards for Two Year Programs – NAEYC Standards Summary
The journal must be a minimum of 3 paragraphs, each paragraph must be a minimum 10 sentences in length.
The first paragraph should contain a description of the event, activity, or interaction that pertains to the topic. Be specific and detailed to give a clear understanding of the event, activity or interaction you have selected.
The second paragraph should contain one NAEYC Sub-Standard (ex. 6a) from the standard summary document that is attached to the assignment. You should reflect upon how this sub-standard is applicable/appropriate to the first paragraph. Give detailed information that relates the NAEYC sub- standard you selected to the event, activity, or interaction from the first paragraph.
The third paragraph is your chance to reflect on the event, activity, or interaction. As you reflect, think about what you learned, what could have been done better or differently, or what went exceptionally well. Perhaps this will cause you to change your practice with children and families. Remember this is your chance to respond honestly and think about your role as an early childhood professional. How have you grown as a professional? These are all suggested to help you reflect, it is not necessary to include all the suggestions in your reflective paragraph.
Journals are worth 100% and are 2% of your overall grade.
- 10 points are deducted if an NAEYC Sub-Standard is not included in the second paragraph.
- 5 points are deducted if the sub-standard is included but it is not relevant to the event, activity, or interaction.
- 10 points are deducted if three paragraphs are not included
- 10 points are deducted if the minimum 10 sentence requirement is not met in all three paragraphs.
- 0 â€“ 10 points are deducted for spelling and grammar
- 0 â€“ 15 points are deducted if the event, activity, or interaction does not relate to the given topic.
Create your journal in Word and save the document. Click on the Journal Assignment link in Blackboard and attach your saved file by clicking on Browse Computer. Remember to click submit button.